International Journal of Multidisciplinary Research and Development

International Journal of Multidisciplinary Research and Development


International Journal of Multidisciplinary Research and Development
International Journal of Multidisciplinary Research and Development
Vol. 6, Issue 9 (2019)

Rhinogenic headache, study of some etiological factors and evaluation of their corrective surgical outcome


Abdelaziz Elsherif, Talaat Farghaly, Ramy Abdelgawad

Objective: To investigate the role of some etiological factors in occurrence of rhinogenic headache and to evaluate their corrective surgical outcome. Patients and methods: a prospective interventional self-controlled study included 60 patients with refractory headache of more than one year duration and diagnosed by endoscopic examination and C T scans, to have anatomical nasal abnormalities as deviated nasal septum, hypertrophied inferior turbinate and concha bullosa. The age of the patients ranged from 18 to 47 years (35 males, 25 females). Results: anatomical nasal abnormalities were diagnosed by nasal endoscopy and confirmed by CT scans as deviated nasal septum in 45 patients(75 %), hypertrophied inferior turbinate in 35 patients (58.3%) and concha bullosa in 15 patients (25%). In these 60 operated cases 30 cases (50 %) showed complete cure from headache, but16 cases (26.6 %) showed improvement of headache with total success 46 cases (76.6 %) while 14 cases (23.3 %) showed no improvement. Conclusion: Rhinogenic headache may be produced by some anatomical nasal abnormalities, such complaint can be cured or significantly improved after surgery with no or minimal complications provided that accurate selection of the patients is done.
Download  |  Pages : 05-08
How to cite this article:
Abdelaziz Elsherif, Talaat Farghaly, Ramy Abdelgawad. Rhinogenic headache, study of some etiological factors and evaluation of their corrective surgical outcome. International Journal of Multidisciplinary Research and Development, Volume 6, Issue 9, 2019, Pages 05-08
International Journal of Multidisciplinary Research and Development International Journal of Multidisciplinary Research and Development